What’s Wrong With the Law
The passage of SB 1070 represents nothing less than a manmade disaster of enormous proportions in the Hispanic community, not just in Arizona, but nationwide. The legislation will inevitably increase racial profiling and other forms of discrimination against Latinos and others perceived to be “foreign.” Purportedly designed to improve enforcement of immigration laws, SB 1070:
- Criminalizes being an undocumented immigrant, much like the infamous Sensenbrenner legislation passed by the U.S. House of Representatives in 2006
- Requires law enforcement officials to demand papers proving lawful presence in the U.S. of anyone they “reasonably suspect” of being undocumented
- Permits anyone to sue Arizona law enforcement agencies if they believe the law is not being enforced
- Inoculates law enforcement in Arizona against lawsuits from victims of racial profiling or discriminatory enforcement
- Inspires copycat legislation in nearly one dozen other states
Because this disastrous public policy demands an extraordinary response, the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) and 51 other civil rights and social justice organizations have called for a formal boycott of conventions, conferences, and other special events involving significant travel to Arizona from out of state.