Federal Budget and Taxes
Will our leaders make the right budgetary decisions to put our country on course toward a bright future, a strong economy, and shared prosperity?
The federal budget is a reflection of the highest priorities of our society. Decisions our country makes about where to invest its dollars will determine what kind of future we create for the next generation. Hispanics, who comprise a young, aspiring, and vital segment of the American people, want a budget that can help create a bright future for all Americans. NCLR will follow the principles below when examining federal budget proposals in 2013 and beyond:
- Create jobs.
- Invest in our future.
- Protect the most vulnerable and working families.
- Share responsibility fairly for deficit reduction.
- Foster economic mobility.
Latinos for a Fair Economy Webinar
Click on the video below to get an update on the federal budget debate and how ongoing budget cuts directly threaten our economy and our community.
Federal Budget Tele-Town Hall
Click on the image below to hear the November 20, 2013 national tele-town hall with NCLR’s President and CEO Janet Murguía and Sens. Robert Menendez (D–NJ), Barbara Mikulski (D–MD), and Patty Murray (D–WA) discussing the current budget negotiations in Congress and the impact of cuts to federal programs on Latino families.
Faces of the Sequester
Click on the videos to hear how people have felt the sting of the sequester and other budget cuts.
- NCLR/Latino Decisions Budget Survey (December 12, 2013)
- Latinos and the Federal Budget: Stop the Cuts and Invest in Youth (November 15, 2013)
- Latino Voters Want Jobs, Not Cuts (October 29, 2013)
- Invest in the Future: Support Latino Youth (September 10, 2013)
- NCLR Tax Reform Principles and Priorities (July 12, 2013)
- NCLR Survey of Latino Voters on the Federal Budget (May 29, 2013)
- Latinos and Sequestration: How are Automatic Cuts Affecting Latinos (April 5, 2013)
- House Budget Proposal by Chairman Ryan Harms Latinos (March 19, 2013)
- Latinos Oppose Changes to Child Tax Credit Fact Sheet (February 27, 2013)
- Latinos and the Federal Budget: Don’t Undercut Our Future (February 15, 2013)
- Latinos and the Federal Budget: Responsible Solutions That Invest in Our Future (Updated February 14, 2013)
- NCLR Principles on the Federal Budget (December 12, 2012)
- Latinos Opinions about Deficit Reduction; Summary of Surveys (December 2012)
- The Impact of Budget Cuts on Workforce Training (March 8, 2013)
- The Effects of Budget Battles on Latino Employment (February 1, 2013)
- Under Threat: Sequestration’s Impact on Nondefense Jobs and Services (Senate report, July 2012)
- NCLR Latinos and the Federal Budget: Our Vision, Our Voice, Our Values PowerPoint (PDF PowerPoint, October 2013)
- The Federal Budget Debate: What is at stake for Latinos? (February 15, 2013)
- NCLR Ryan Budget and Latino Families PowerPoint (PDF PowerPoint, Aug 2012)
- “How would the Ryan Budget impact Latino families?” (Webinar, Aug 2012)