About the program
NCLR’s Escalera: Taking Steps to Success is a national program that promotes economic mobility for youth. Escalera supports students both personally and academically as they explore career paths, prepare for college, and develop leadership and technology skills.
This college- and career-readiness program meets the needs of high school juniors and seniors by providing guidance and support through:
- A rigorous, semi-scripted curriculum that is responsive to students’ culture
- Experiential learning activities
- Case management
- Internship opportunities
Making an Impact
In 2014-2015, Escalera served nearly 1,000 students across the country.
- 95% graduated or were on-track to graduate high school
- 80% of high school graduates directly enrolled in postsecondary opportunities
- 82% of participants completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Each participant applied to an average of 4.8 colleges
Escalera currently serves 850 students in 21 sites nationwide, and is generously funded by UPS.